Nisbet Plantation’s Mango Specialty
Indulge in the island’s sweetest produce as you enjoy Nisbet Plantation’s Mango Orange Tart. Created by Pastry Chef Virgilio Mista, this fruit-filled dessert exemplifies sweet mango flavors.
Enjoy during the Mango Season on Nevis, or make this treat from the convenience of home with Chef Virgilio’s recipe.
photo: Tina Thuell Photography
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ tablespoons soft butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 ½ tablespoons condensed milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice
- 1 ½ tablespoons mango juice
- 2 whole mangoes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Crust: Combine butter and sugar together in the mixer on 2nd speed until creamy, add the eggs to the mixture and continue to mix for 1 minute. Then add the all-purpose flour. Spread the crust into the tart mold and bake for about 5 minutes.
- Filling: Combine the condensed milk, eggs, heavy cream, fresh milk, orange juice and the mango juice. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked crust and bake at 300 degrees F for about 12 minutes. Let the tart cool and decorate with fresh mango on top.
- Decoration: Caramelize the sugar. On the stove in a saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. As soon as the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture begins to boil, stop stirring. Reduce to a simmer for 8 to 10 minutes. When the mixture turns a uniform rich, brown color and is slightly thickened, the caramelizing process is done. Place the bottom of the pot in an ice bath to slow the cooking process. On wax paper, with a spoon drizzle some of the caramel into a design. Caramel will cool quickly. Add decoration to mango orange tart and serve.