We are honored to share that Pastry Chef Danilo’s Chilled Passion Fruit Cheesecake was recently named one of the “Best Desserts in the Caribbean” by USA Today Travel.
The sweet treat, created with “plenty of passion … is the grand finale to a fine meal. Sliced and served in the Great House restaurant at the AAA Four Diamond Nisbet Plantation, the rainbow-colored light delight pays homage to the passion fruit that grows on the tiny isle across the channel from St. Kitts.” Congratulations, Pastry Chef Danilo!
Take a tasty-tip from Melanie Reffes and “dive in” to this “decadent dessert” the next time you dine in the Great House.
To satiate your sweet tooth until your next visit to Nisbet Plantation, Pastry Chef Danilo has provided the recipe below so that you can re-create the delicious dessert in your own home.
Chilled Passion Fruit Cheesecake (Serves 12)
Ingredients (You will need one 3X9 inch round mold)
120g Honey graham crackers crumbs
10g Nido milk powder
40g Melted butter
20ml Water + 1 tsp. Vanilla
100g Cream Cheese
5 pieces Gelatin leaves (soak in ice water for 15 minutes)
75ml Fresh passion fruit juice
Passion Fruit Jello Topping:
50ml Fresh passion fruit juice
2 pieces Gelatin leaves
Prep: Cut a round pastry paper to 9” round and place inside the 3X9” round mold
- Place the graham cracker crumbs in the bowl of food processor and process until finely crushed.
- Add the melted butter, milk powder and vanilla extract, and process until well combined.
- Use a large spoon to spread and press the graham cracker crumbs mixture firmly over the base of the pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Beat cream cheese until soft and creamy.
- Pour in the milk and passion fruit juice until smooth and creamy.
- Remove the ice water from the gelatin. Melt gelatin in a double broiler and then pour into the cream cheese mixture.
- Beat the whipped cream until soft peaks form. Then fold into cream cheese mixture until well mixed.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
Passion Fruit Jello
- Soak the gelatin leaves in the ice water for 10 minutes.
- Boil the passion fruit juice with the sugar in small saucepan until sugar dissolves.
- Remove the gelatin from the ice water. Whisk the hot juice into the gelatin.
- Set aside to cool completely. Add a little yellow food coloring if desired.
- Pour over top of the cooled passion fruit cheesecake.
- Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight.
Slice the passion fruit cheese cake into 12 slices. Serve with fresh berries and fruit sauce.
Enjoy, and share your results in a comment below!